Saturday, October 31, 2009

Previews

A couple of links and notes on a lazy Saturday. Tonight is huge. If Kentucky is going to, as Rich Brooks would say, climb the SEC ladder, this is a must win game. The Bulldogs have played several big opponents close, yet they come to Commonwealth with a losing record, an interception prone QB and, well the fact that they are Mississippi State. We are very banged up, granted. But mid-tier SEC teams have to be able to beat Mississippi State at home.

Micah Johnson's status is important. Brooks has said that he is available to play but will not start. This is something coaches do that I've never understood. Yes, he might be well enough to play but not to play the whole game. I get that. But why not start the guy so you can see right away what you will be able to do with him? Not a criticism of Brooks, I am sure that coaches do this for some reason. For what it is worth, Johnson tweeted Thursday that he had no knee pain in practice. (Yeah, I broke down on the Twitter thing. I don't send tweets, but I do follow some strategic people. I suck, I know.)

This week has yielded surprisingly little discussion about our starting quarterback. I guess it is a foregone conclusion that we will go with the three headed monster again. Will Fidler has earned the right to start this game, and I would be more comfortable with he and Cobb at the helm tonight. Newton has a ton of potential, but tonight is not a learning curve kind of evening. Beat Mississippi State and get the freshman more experience next week.

Keep an eye on Danny Trevathan and Sam Maxwell tonight. Without Micah, they'll be tasked with filling up the vacuum of run support. Anthony Dixon and the MSU running attack are potent. Our run defense has not been. We are going to be vulnerable. I have confidence in Ronnie Snead, but he is not Micah Johnson.

For anyone curious, I will be watching the game on TV tonight after hustling the kids home from Halloween goodness. See that kid in that picture up there? You try telling his sister and him that they aren't going trick or treating because daddy is going to a football game. Not happening. If you'll be there tonight, make sure to wear black and cheer loudly for me.

Tonight, I think both teams make plays, and we have trouble stopping the run. A special teams blunder or two could really sabotage a game like this, which should be nip and tuck. In the end, I think Randall Cobb makes one more play than the Mississippi State offense and we get it done. Lets call it Kentucky 24 Mississippi State 21.

A couple of links to take us out:

Today, Chip Cosby has a great article about how big this rivalry has become. Key point: the home loss to Mississipi State in 2007 crushed what could have been an unforgettable season for what I agree was the best team of the Brooks era.

This site's new friends at A Sea of Blue come with a monster post breaking down Mississippi State from every angle. Key point: This game determines whether we have any chance to get above the Music City/Liberty tier of Bowls.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Alex - since you're home watching, any thoughts on a live blog?

LeeW said...

This game scares the crap out of me. I was in Starkville last year and we had no business winning that game. This team is a lot better than people think.

Dave Zahniser said...

We were in Comm. for the '07 debacle. Or at least for the first half. We left after the Cats fumbled the second half kickoff. Miserable loss.

Scutch said...

Shea- I thought about it, but learned I'm watching most of it somewhere else. I will try a live blog before the season is over. Maybe Georgia.
Lee- me too. On paper, I think they have a better overall team when you consider who we have hurt.
Dave- that game was one of the most deflating I've ever been to. I really hadn't entertained the thought we would lose. That sucked.
Thanks for reading, guys.

Unknown said...

Run defense?

 
Site Meter