Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gameday

* I have deliberately not posted anything about today's game. This is without question a fan site. I'm generally only critical of things that are obvious and I don't want to be a UK Football Fan who drowns in the negative like so many running around Commonwealth Stadium. This week, it seems like everyone from the guy in the office next door to Mark May on ESPN are feeling this as an upset game. But look.

*I've been pleasantly surprised by the passing game and the overall command shown by Mike Hartline. Florida hasn't exactly played clean football in running its record to 3-0. None of that changes my preseason thoughts about today's game.

*Chip Cosby has an excellent look at 10 keys to victory in today's Herald Leader. It may not be enough, but I'll limit my take to one key. In order to stand a chance in this game, Kentucky needs to avoid giving up big plays. Florida is going to score. It will likely do so several times. The Cats need to make the Gators earn it. Longer drives means less pressure on our offense, more chances of a drive killing mistake (which this Florida team has been prone to), and a greater likelihood of putting Florida in a 3rd and long it cannot get out of. If Jeff Demps is running 73 yards for scores, none of those things can happen.

*Nothing from an official outlet, but some Twitter traffic last night indicated that Danny Trevathan will miss the first quarter for disciplinary reasons. That doesn't help.

*I may not be able to watch the game tonight. My law firm party at my partner's farm begins at 7. Apparently he does not have a cable box on his living room television and the basement will be off limits for the 150 or so guests. He swears that he will rig the living room tube, but may be telling me this to get me off his back. I get the impression his wife doesn't want the game on, which any married guy will tell you means I'm fighting a losing battle. Long time readers may remember that I was in a wedding in Atlanta the night of the LSU upset and didn't see a snap. So maybe I can ride the superstition train. On the other hand, if the game is close in the second half and not viewable, all the clients and friends I invited to the party will be gone anyway and I'll just sneak my ass out.

*Maybe I'm drinking the Kool Aid after all.

* On a non-game related note, I should mention that two days after cutting him, the Miami Dolphins did resign Micah Johnson to the practice squad. This move cuts his salary in 1/4, which means he only makes about three to four times what you did in your first job out of college.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which partner? Sorry, but I don't care what type of occasion it is if you have the lack of foresight to create a scheduling conflict with a UK sporting event it is only simple courtesy to allow your guests who are fans a way to watch the game. I suspect many of your guests/clients will be looking for a TV or a way out at about 6:55pm.

chuck beal

Scutch said...

In fairness to him, we had to do it tonight to avoid home games and other conflicts. And we got the worst possible draw with the ESPNU 7pm slot in that its at night and not on basic cable.

Dave Zahniser said...

I missed the LSU game, too, also for a wedding. We set the TiVo for the rest of the game plus one hour and still missed the final minutes.

 
Site Meter