Saturday, September 11, 2010

Notes while waiting on the mail


Interesting morning here in the UK Football Fan household. First of all, we know that football season is in full swing because my son and I have restarted our ritual of playing catch while watching games. Every once in a while I'll have him stop and do some situps (he sucks at pushups). We call this his training. During a typical college football game, we'll probably pass the ball 1000 times. When we aren't watching games during football season, he is usually playing Madden on the Wii (which he is doing right now). Despite not listening to a thing I tell him about anything else, he has developed a real love for football. Its pretty cool.


All of which factors heavily into the dilemma that has presented itself here today. Last Sunday my Uncle texted me to say that he is leaving town and asking if I wanted his tickets for this game and his Orange lot pass. Hell yes. He mailed them to me on Tuesday, from Danville. As of yesterday's mail, the package hasn't arrived. So as of this morning, I have no idea what my Commonwealth experience will entail today. Either I'll be full on tailgating on my own with sweet 40 yard line seats for my son and I, or I'll be wandering around the parking lot at 6:30 looking for cheap tickets for my kids for whom I've secured no babysitter. We'll see what today's mail brings.


Tonight's game should be a walkover for the Cats. Western has not won a game since UK throttled them 41-3 at Commonwealth in 2008. Though I expect Willie Taggart to breath new life in the program, it is going to have to wait another week.


A couple of good games are on tap in the SEC today. Of course the marquee matchup is Penn State at Alabama at 7. But I am a lot more interest in watching UGa-USC at noon. This game could have a lot to do with the SEC East race, what with SC looking very good against Southern Miss last week and Florida not exactly coming out like world beaters against Miami(OH). Last year the Bulldogs eeked one out in Athens, 41-37 in a game that went down to the last possession. Can the Cocks turn the tables in Columbia?


This is actually one of the better college football days I can remember. I'm excited for the UK game, but sometimes it is a bit of a bummer to know that I'm missing a ton of good games to spend all day there. I'll miss the 3:30 and 7pm games, but with the aforementioned SEC tilt at noon, and my UCLA Bruins playing the nightcap against Stanford at 10:30 est, I am still going to get a lot in.


Have a great day everyone and go Cats. Did the mail come yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd bet your uncle gave them to your aunt who forgot to mail them. Why is that likely? But it is.

 
Site Meter