Monday, January 12, 2009

As much as. . . .

. . . .I admire Tim Tebow's athletic ability and competitiveness, his presence in college football is likely to grow tiresome in 2009. And make no mistake, I like the guy as a player. It is kind of the same way I felt about Joakim Noah. You cannot hate on anyone with a lot of talent who still plays as if his life depends on it every time out. I can't, at least.

All that being said, Fox basically spoiled the national championship game and Tebow's gutty performance last week with all the praise and laudatory hyperbole. After a while, it was embarrassing. If you are reading this, you probably watched the game, and no doubt observed the same thing. So I'll spare you the gory details.

Yeah, he is a stud college football player. Maybe in some ways the best I've ever seen. He is almost certainly a devout christian who uses his status to do many good things. In 100 years, people will probably talk about Tebow the way they do Paul Bunyan or Babe Ruth. He will be an idea, almost like he was someone who never existed. Lets face it though, Tim Tebow is also acutely aware of what he represents and how to manipulate the media and public's perception. He is Eddie Haskell in eye black. Witness his speeches, including this most recent, "Lets do it again" ditty. For all his virtues, it gets a bit trite at times. That the media play right into it does not help. I almost get the feeling he acts like a Robotic, Uber-Fellowship of Christian Athletes BMOC because that is what we've been told to expect from him. I bet on some level he'd admit to being trapped in his own image.

Three years ago USC's Matt Leinart said, "I am going to stay at USC, go to clubs with my boy Nick Lachey, date ridiculous looking celebrities and co-eds, spend another year surrounded by the most talented college players on the planet and try to win another Heisman and National Title". Leinert was praised, but it was always with a wink and a nod, "yeah, that kid is living a life the rest of us can only dream of. I'd stay put too". What Tebow is doing is way different, albeit not for reasons you might think. Leinert was giving up a chance to be a top 3 pick and an instant multi, multi-millionaire. That isn't in the offing for Tebow. I'd never bet against the guy, but as an NFL QB, he is no better than a third round draft pick. Staying in school costs him nothing. Since he could be trading on his status as a college legend for some time, I'd argue that coming back might have made more financial sense. At least in the long run.

Still, I am sure in the coming days we'll hear of how unselfish he is and on more than one occasion, you'll hear about how he came back out of loyalty and to give more glory to god. All of which may be somewhat true. But I'm quite certain it isn't the whole truth. I have no idea what all Tebow does when he isn't performing circumcisions in third world countries. But to think for one minute he isn't living all manner of a charmed 21 year old male existence there in Gainesville is pretty naive. Leinart got to spend a year with the stars, but Tebow is the star. He is the most famous person in the state of Florida.

Next year, when Tebow steps on the field, it will be like Shane Battier's last year at Duke, minus the excessive head wrinkles. Remember how sickening it was to hear people go on and on about him? The refs might as well have given him his own whistle.

I still hate Shane Battier, though it may be Kryzewski hate by association and not because he got the second coming treatment from the media. Regardless, I don't want to feel that way about Tim Tebow a year from now. So, part of me is sorry that he is coming back BECAUSE I like watching him play so much. But not nearly as sorry as I'd be if I were a linebacker in the SEC.

In the end, I'll probably wish Tebow luck in 11 of his 12 regular season games. I may just turn the sound off when I watch him play.

2 comments:

Dave Zahniser said...

Amen, Scutch.

I now watch all non-baseball sporting events (especailly those on the network) with the sound either off or so down I can hardly hear it.

TDW said...

Ditto. Nothing to add to your comments Scutch. I am sitting in CVG at the bar waiting for a flight to Minnesota. The high there tomorrow is expected to be 1. Which made me think of Planes Trains & Automobiles. Can you tell I am bored?

 
Site Meter