Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2010 Signs

With the MCB coming so soon after Christmas, I am starting to see this UK Football Fan year getting away from me. Before I do a game preview, lets focus a little bit on next season. Last year I believe I did a lot in terms of a season preview prior to the bowl. I don't want to do that this year because I think the bowl might tell us a lot about next season. Instead, lets focus on what some of those things might be.



I start with the premise that 2010 might be a rough year, especially with Derrick Locke out of the mix. The most proven part of our offense could be our wide receiver corps. Think about that for a minute. Okay. UK will go with four new starters on the offensive line, a heretofore unused tight end of some variety, and a quarterback who will emerge from what will likely be a war of attrition.


The Defense will have some talented players back, but a number of holes to fill.



In fact, lets start there. Sam Maxwell's injury means that Junior Jacob Dufrene will get the nod at Strongside Linebacker in the Music City Bowl. Dufrene has been seen almost exclusively on special teams in his career, but is the front runner to play in that spot in 2010. This is a big opportunity for him.



It appears Paul Warford and Randall Burden will have the inside track to start at corner in 2010. Burden in particular had some big plays this year, but in my opinion, really struggled at times. Warford was hurt some this season and had a rather quiet year. Randall's coming out party was in last season's Liberty Bowl. It would be nice to see some similar magic from one of these guys to help us gain some confidence.



Over to offense, obviously the big story should be whether Mike Hartline will play, if so how much and how effectively. Based on everything I've observed, the race for the starting quarterback in 2010 is wide open. Hartline was having a great game when he got hurt but had certainly not set the world on fire leading up to it. Already struggling with confidence, Mike basically imploded against Alabama and left Brooks and Co. saying, "he aint much but he's all we got. Newton of course did what he was asked and managed to win some games, though it is questionable how much of a role he really played. I admit I was a tad disappointed in his running ability, and obviously his touch on downfiled passes will need to improve. I personally would be very relieved to see Mike Hartline come into this game, play well, and reestablish himself as the starting quarterback. No matter what happens, I'd expect a battle in the spring. And given what has transpired this year, I expect it will be a three horse race.



Assuming Locke is gone, UK will be looking for a tailback in 2010. Moncell Allen is at the top of the depth chart, and has certainly paid his dues. More importantly, the Turtle has run well when given the opportunity. Despite this, I don't see him getting more than 100 carries next year as the staff doesn't see him as a every down back. He is an unusual size and shape, and lacks the top end speed of an SEC tailback. If I were Brooks, I'd be looking to get Donald Russell or Coshik Williams a couple of meaningful carries on Sunday.

We'll talk a little more as it gets closer. Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Scutch said...

And I pride myself on the quality of my writing. D-

 
Site Meter