Saturday, September 13, 2008

2008 UK Rap?

If you click through all the links on this post it might take you a couple of minutes, so hopefully you aren't catching this at work.
Last season UK Football got its signature Youtube video with the "Steve Johnson Freestyle Rap"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQMT5BWXlU

I'd argue that the "rap" was really more of a spoken word thing, but whatever. The video got some viral legs and spawned a great catch phrase that I glommed onto right away. In fact, I was amazed to watch the video one week and then see a group of guys in the Blue Lot with both T-Shirts and signage bearing, "We gonna get it poppin like Joker from way back." To me the fowarding of the video and this reaction to it stood as one sign that 2007 was different, and that the program had turned the corner. I realize this may sound silly, but still believe it to be true.

Since then, I've run across a freestyle rap by Malcolm Kelly of Oklahoma, also made in 2007, that has been laid over a ridiculously good beat. (By the way, Malcolm takes some small liberties that I don't think would go over well in Rich Brooks' locker room). Bear with the first 25 seconds of the video, as they are pertinent to the story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6qX49asVA&feature=related

This has me jonesing for a souped up 2008 UK rap, or maybe just Stevie's joint with some more arrangement. Can someone with these kinds of skills get this done for me? By the way, if you don't think the guy in the beginning of the video is legit, check this out, in fact, I think this beat or some other by this guy (who is, by legend at least, a Murray State student) would be perfect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smE-uIljiGo&feature=user

And yes, I know I am 37 and white.

No comments:

 
Site Meter