Monday, September 29, 2008

Week 5 Bowl Projections

Here is a "without comment" survey of this week's UK bowl projections from around cyberspace, along with what should be the first of several weekly projections from yours truly for the entire SEC.

ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach

Music City Bowl v. Clemson


ESPN.com's Bruce Feldman

Papajohns.com Bowl v. Pitt


Scout.com

Liberty Bowl v. Tulsa


CBS Sportsline

Pizza Web Site Bowl v. Cincinnati


NBC Sports

Music City v. Maryland


Here are my current Bowl Projections for the SEC, based on play to date and the teams' schedules going forward. I recognize that some teams that are playing well may fade and some may improve. In other words, yes I concede that Tennessee might pull ahead of Vandy and/or UK in the pecking order. By the way, I did not consult other Internet picks before doing this.

National Championship

LSU (Almost a coin flip with Alabama at this point. Deciding factor is that Alabama goes to LSU this year.)

Sugar

Alabama

Capital One

Georgia (preference here could go to Florida, with UGA heading to Outback)

Cotton

Auburn

Outback

Florida

Chick-Fil-A

Vandy (If the records are close or identical, Ole Miss may edge Vandy for this spot. They'll travel better.)

Liberty

Ole Miss

Music City

UK (Liberty and Music City pick simultaneously in consultation with league office. This arrangement makes far more sense geographically.)

Independence

South Carolina (October 11th could tell the tale of who falls to here. By the way, this game just got moved to 12:30, which is not good news for the home team.)

Papajohns.com

Tennessee (If UT gets to seven wins, it will assuredly go higher. They have their work cut out for them between now and then.)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should know that I read your post before doing my bowl predictions, but I did not consult it. Here are my picks:
BCS - 'Bama
Sugar - LSU
Cap.1 - Fla.
Cotton - Aub.
Peach - UK
Outback - Ga.
Liberty - Vandy
Music City - USC
Ind. - Ole Miss
pizzawebsitebowl - non-SEC

My picks considered the following:
-9 bowl-eligible teams (UT won't make it).
-Conference bowl tie-ins and preferences haven't changed recently
-Ala. beats Ga. in the SEC Championship game.

Anonymous said...

I guess you were "missing something" last week as you know also have Ole Miss going to a better bowl than UK. (I'm guessing that something missing was knowing that Ole Miss was going to beat Fla. in the swamp. Maybe the espn guys were predicting that win.)

Scutch said...

Big Z's picks appear predicated on an assumption that UK will sweep USC, Arkansas, Vandy and Miss. St. I cannot knock to optimism or the hustle.

I'd argue that putting Ole Miss in the Liberty is not a flip flop because it and the Music City are on equal footing. I did say in this very space that they probably would not get to 6 wins. Come Sunday morning, that looked like a pretty stupid thing to say.

Anonymous said...

I actually had UK beating those teams and UT. I almost put UK in the Outback. For a complete list of my game by game analysis, see my msnbc.com.

 
Site Meter