Sunday, October 19, 2008

We Left

Yes. I was among the many people at the game who did not stick around long enough to see us win. Let me put this decision in perspective. Here are the things that are more important to me than UK Football: My wife, children, parents, god, my in laws, aunts, uncles, cousins, roughly 25 friends, my job and my dog. That is it. Of thirty thousand grown men a the game tonight, I bet only 10 were as close to tears as I was watching the special teams and offense try to give this game away. I spend hours writing on this ridiculous blog that three people read just because I love talking and thinking about this stuff. Yet, tonight, when UK threw a one yard pass on fourth and two with about eight minutes left, down 20-7, my wife and I headed for the car. Excuses? Well, we shipped our kids off to grandmas today, Harry's sushi was calling, my 37 year old ass was working the back end of the Lexington double dip and, lets face it, the offense really didn't look capable of scoring again.
The rest, as they say, is history. (Funny how this sentence is cliche even with its qualifier). Here is the funny thing. I don't feel the least bit bad about missing it. There is no question in my mind we would have lost if I'd stayed in my seat. And yes, I know that is a load of crap and that I am one of about 10,000 guys saying that right now. I still believe it, though.
What a poetic ending. The whipping boy throws two TD passes to the guy the whole crowd wants to replace him. They get to enjoy it together. Hearing Cobb and Hartline talk about it in the postgame show. . . . well, lets just say that their moms raised two good kids. I'm welling up. Did I mention how much I love this stuff?
Who knew Cobb was going to wear Dicky's number? Special. I cannot wait to hear the backstory on that.
Anyway (ok, I'm calming down now) as I wandered to my car on Waller, I heard the first touchdown. I started texting Big Z and Jenni called her mom. I witnessed Jenni talking to her mom, stopping dead in her tracks and asking, "no flags? no flags?" and I knew it had happened. By the time we got to our car, all that was left was the part of every game UK fans dread. We ended up listening to the last two minutes on the radio with a bunch of high schoolers, screaming and high fiving. If nothing else, I knew it made for a good story.
So yeah, I am a crappy fan and I dread returning to my seats for fear of ridicule next time. But hey, we won. Tomorrow (today actually) I will make hotel reservations in Nashvegas, Memphis and Birmingham.

3 comments:

Heather C. Watson said...

I left the 2002 LSU game to beat the traffic, assuming we had it won....

Anonymous said...

We left B-dubs about the same time. Somehow between the car and the house that Cats scored and then the D came up huge and we got the ball back and did what usually gets done to us. Hey, Gators go down! (But probably not next week.)

I figure Cobb was probably 12 in high school and just wanted the number.

Anonymous said...

I too was one the of the fans that began to leave; luckily, our seats are at the top of the lower level, and as we began to walk down the ramp, we heard the stadium cheering when AK fumbled. We returned to our seats, and for the next 20 minutes, the stadium was the loudest I've heard all year...half full.

 
Site Meter