Tuesday, November 11, 2008

On a mission

I'm on a mission to determine the chances of the UK-UT game showing up on television on November 29th. It may be the SEC's best kept secret.

This is the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I will be in Gulf Shores, Al, with family. Assuming the game is not on national TV, I'm screwed out loud. My game experience will be limited to ESPN.com's deliberately outdated (to get you to pay Insider dollars) updates and an occasional scrolled tidbit from a below average ACC crapfest I don't care about.

Before you say "Raycom", forget it. Raycom is committed to the Egg Bowl in Oxford the day before. The heretofore mediocre but reliable network will have no Saturday telecast. CBS will televise the Iron Bowl, with what we hope will be an Alabama over Auburn SEC West coronation. Any other SEC telecast on the 29th will originate from the ESPN family of networks, and is totally discretionary. The SEC competes with all manner of other conferences for what games will be televised. The odds of our potentially irrelevant game getting prime consideration are shorter than Seth Greene.

If you thrive on trying to figure these kinds of things out, but have a life (I know, these venn diagrams don't actually meet), this becomes a problem. As much as I love to keep up with the SEC, keeping up with everyone else is impossible. I have no way to handicap whether this game will be on TV so that I can watch it. Given what might be on the line that day (or night, who knows) this is completely unacceptable. The best resource when faced with this dilemma is a random LSU blog that shows all nationally televised games and those yet to be picked up. I have to give this guy credit. He does his homework. If nothing else, this blog gives me a framework from which to base silly assumptions. That's good enough.

Hopefully UK beats Vandy this weekend, setting up a UK at Tennessee mercy fest on ESPN2 at 8pm on the 29th, riding bitch to UVa.-VaTech on the primary network. It must help that it will be Fulmer's last game.

These are the things an obsessive Cat fan can think about, in addition to contemplating the waxing of Vandy's candy ass.

Go Cats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can leave Gulf Shores early and drive up to Knoxville with my Dad. He would love that!

 
Site Meter