Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tennessee

Let me lay my cards on the table. I cannot muster much passion for the game today because I just don't like our chances. The Cats ripped my heart out two weeks ago by not getting it done at home against Vandy, and the wound was reopened watching the Commodores turn in a positively putrid performance against UT last week. The first half performance of both the offense and defense defied all notions I had about the coaching staff's ability to prepare and the character of the team. I'm still trying to figure out where our defense went. I have been playing the old "ifffin" game about the Vandy game for the last two weeks. A win was so attainable and would have been so sweet. Against this backdrop, we head to Tennessee to watch Phil Fulmer coach his last game in front of 106,000 faithful.

I'd look for a couple of things today. It is almost a foregone conclusion that the Cats will come out flat and dig themselves a hole. We are so used to doing so that if we can somehow stay in the game for the first quarter and a half, things should get interesting. UT will try to hop on us early. I'd look for a trick play, a fake punt, and most of all, I look for UT to go with Eric Berry at QB in a Wildcat package early and often. It has little to lose by going this route since passing has been such a Achilles heel.

I don't see our offense putting up many points so staying close will mean our defense showing up. Jeremy Jarmon is out for the game, which nullifies a lot of our chance to put pressure on a shaky QB. Pity that.

My guess is we will see Mike Hartline in this game at some point. It would help to give him some confidence going into an extra month of practice the whole team could use to get better. If he already has his head elsewhere, this will be a wasted month for him. I am still not sold on Cobb as a fulltime starter, and I don't think Brooks will be inclined to start another true freshman at QB next year.

Finally, I think there is a Lane Kiffin factor at work in this game. Reading between the lines, UT AD Mike Hamilton wanted to wait until after today to announce Kiffin's hiring. At some point this week, Kiffin started trying to hire retread assistants and let the cat out of the bag. I'm sure that the Volunteer players would love to send their coach out a winner. I wonder if the unfortunate timing of the Kiffin announcement will have the team turning the page a couple of days early. One thing is for sure, UT brass and their wonderboy new coach botched this, big time.

On a side note, UK's basketball win makes for a near doubleheader today on ESPN 2. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Time was, our Basketball team did not have to settle for playing at midnight to get a game onto ESPNU and not even getting to play on the flagship station for a tournament final.

2 comments:

Dave Zahniser said...

I have the same dreaded feeling about the game you have.

Speaking of side notes, and I know this is about UK football, but there has to be a rant in their somewhere about the Bruins giving up a record-tying four defensive touchdowns to ASU.

Anonymous said...

They don't belong in any bowl, even Shreveport. Stunk up the joint.

 
Site Meter